NAGANO —Nagano resident and author Peter Ninnes has just published the fourth travel guide in the “Hiking, Walking and Biking Nagano” series, sub-titled “16 Tours in Nagano City”. With its marvelous mix of urban and rural, and modern and historic, Nagano City is a fascinating place to explore. This book provides information in English on all the different aspects of the city and covers 16 captivating tours including:
* A very detailed description of the pilgrim’s walk (or bike ride) from Nagano Station to the iconic Zenkoji Temple, including where to find the 18 marker stones (chou ishi) and the Seven Lucky Gods, and commentary on the temple’s grounds and history.
* A 45-km bike ride from Nagano Station to the Kawanakajima Historical Battlefield, and then along the Chikuma River Bikeway all the way to Ueda Castle Park. This is the most detailed description of the bikeway available in English.
* An informative guide to the historical precinct in Matsushiro, including how to find and visit the WWII tunnels under Mt Zou.
* Full descriptions of three hikes in the mystical Togakushi highlands, including a host of information on the sights seen along the classic Five Shrines walk.
* Several mountain hikes, suitable for the everyday amateur hiker, including up the super-spiritual Mt Iizuna, as well as a number of other mountains with amazing views of the Zenkoji Plain, the Northern Alps, and the mountains in the east of Nagano Prefecture.
This book is designed to provide users with all the material needed to make the most of their time in the city. Each tour has a detailed English description, color photographs, and a full-color map. Even with little or no Japanese language ability, readers will be able to find their way around the routes, and learn fascinating details about the sights along the way. For residents and visitors who have already done the well-known big cities and tourist trails, this detailed English language guide makes a fascinating part of Japan highly accessible.
Other books in the series cover Karuizawa, Ueda City and Chikuma City.
“Hiking, Walking and Biking Nagano: 16 Tours in Nagano City” is available at:
* The CreateSpace store (Paperback)
* Amazon.com (Paperback and Kindle)
* Smashwords.com (multiple Ebook formats including Apple iBookstore, Sony, Kobo, Barnes and Noble, Aldiko, and pdf)
Originally published on www.japantoday.com